After seeing cute little bunny cookies with tails on all over Pinterest I decided I wanted to give it a go. However, my first hurdle was finding some bunny shaped cookie cutters (who knew how hard they could be to get hold of?). Eventually I found one online and ordered it and this is what happened! (They don’t look quite the same as the ones I pinned 🙄)
In order to make these cookies you will need:
- Butter 85g
- Caster sugar 100g
- Gluten free flour (could use normal flour) 170g
- Baking powder 1tsp
- 1 egg
- Golden syrup 1tbsp
In order to make the icing you will need –
- 3 tbsp of butter
- 3 tbsp of icing sugar
- Food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 160C or Gas Mark 3
- Allow the butter to soften then add the caster sugar and mix together until light and fluffy.
- Then add the flour, baking powder, egg and golden syrup then mix together until it forms a dough.
- If you wish to use a cookie cutter – Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and use a rolling pin until the dough is a couple of cm thick. Then use the cookie cutter to cut your shapes (a few heads fell off at this stage).
If you are not using a cookie cutter – Depending on how big you want the cookies tear off some dough and roll into balls, then squish them to form a cookie-like shape.
5. Then transfer the cookies onto some baking paper on a baking tray, prick them (so that they keep their shape) and put in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
6. Once you have taken the cookies out of the oven allow them to stand for 5 minutes and harden before transferring them onto a cooking rack.
To make the icing –
1. Whilst the cookies are cooking mix together 3 tbsp of softened butter and 3 tbsp of icing sugar.
2. Once you have creamed together the butter and sugar add your food colouring (the amount depends on the colour you wish to achieve – I added the tip of a spoon).
3. Once you have achieved your desired colour pipe the mixture onto the cookies to form little bunny tails.
(I’ll admit a few heads fell off in the making! Sorry bunnies)