At the weekend I came across these little beauties in TK Maxx and much to my partner’s disgust, I bought them. However, upon getting them home I realised he was right, what would I use them for?!
So after a few days spent wracking my brains I decided that they would be perfect for crumbles. The only problem being that neither of us like cooked fruit.
This morning, however I had a brain wave! The one cooked fruit that I do like is poached pair. I therefore decided that these pots would be christened with poached pear crumble.
Ingredients (Makes two):
- Two pears
- 150g Brown Sugar
- 6 Tbsp gluten free plain flour
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp sugar
Poached pears – (My approach is slightly more boil the pears in some spiced water)
1. Wash and peel the pears
2. Fill a saucepan with water and bring to the boil
3. Add 150g brown sugar and 2 tsp of cinnamon to the water
4. Add the pears and simmer for 30 minutes (or until the pears are soft)
- Place the flour and butter into a bowl together. Rub together the ingredients until they resemble bread crumbs.
- Mix in the sugar
- If you wish you can also add 2 tsp of cinnamon to the crumble mixture before sprinkling it over the poached pears
Drain the pears thoroughly before adding one to each pot and chopping roughly. Sprinkle the crumble on top and bake in the oven at gas mark 6* for 30 minutes.
What you then pear (sorry!) your crumble with is completely up to you! I added a dollop of thick cream that melted into the crumble 😍 Meanwhile my partner, who’s not a fan of cream, added a mini magnum to his (I need to add ice cream to next weeks shopping list! Opps)